Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Briana Heller - Personal Narrative

VIDEO: https://vimeo.com/77380087
The Language of Color
            Sometimes, words fail to encompass an emotion.  Overwhelming joy, anger, or sadness is often better explained, better explored, and better understood through nonverbal communication.  Emotions are mostly intangible; one cannot see joy except in a smile, and one cannot see sadness except in a tear.  Yet the vast depth of the emotion cannot be seen or touched by others.  People try to articulate the gaps - vocalize the intangibles - but often fall flat. The problem with words is that they are intangible as well.  One can hear a word and visualize its meaning, but it does not exist in a physical sense.  This is why I need art.  Art is a tangible platform for intangible things.  I need art as a means to work through my emotions, explain them to others, and understand them myself.
            Art enables me to pour my emotions out of my inner self into the outer world.  As I lay brush to canvas, my paintbrush becomes a conductor that transfers currents of emotion from my body onto canvas, and that emotion flows into colored swirls of paint.  This is how I achieve catharsis.  I gravitate towards paint as my medium of choice because of its innate expressive quality.  Brushstrokes convey emotions.  They can be angular, jagged, and quick, and this style is inherently seething and aggressive.  Conversely, brushstrokes can be soft, blended, and flowing; this style is peaceful and serene.  These implicit connotations are universally understood and accepted.  Brushstrokes are tangible.  They are both visual and inherently expressive, and this enables brushstrokes to illustrate emotions.
            Painting is also the best medium for color, and colors not only express emotions to the viewer but produce emotions within them.  This creates empathy and a nonverbal dialogue between artist and audience.  Viewing the color yellow makes one excited.  Viewing the color blue can be calming or saddening.  Red is angry, powerful, and lusty.  With painting, there is an exponentially infinite number of colors that one can mix and blend, and each color has an emotion.  These colors can be combined and juxtaposed to convey intricate, multifaceted emotions.  Together, red, yellow, and black can create a sense of inner darkness and untamed rage, and this complex emotion is given a visual, tangible representation that others can see and understand.  For me, painting is a means of escape for these emotions.  Feelings can become entangled in the labyrinth of my brain;  my emotions cannot escape me and I cannot escape them.  This is why I need art.  These emotions leave me and are mixed away into pigments.  The overwhelming, intangible mess inside of me become concrete and clear on canvas.  It becomes clear for others as well as clear for myself, and this aids in the process of confronting and understanding overwhelming emotions. 
            Painting is an emotional release, and - through that release - a dialogue is created that enables me to express myself.  Paint turns the intangible into tangible.  Brushstroke, color, and context come together to convey emotions in ways that words fail to solidify.  I express my joy, sadness, or anger, and I release it into the world for others to see and comprehend.  Words are fleeting and finite, but art will often outlast its creator.  I explore the complexities of my emotions through painting, and - as I mark a clean canvas with paint - I cleanse myself of feelings that are too overwhelming to articulate.  Emotions are translated into the langue of color and brushstroke, and this language is universal.  This is its power and its allure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment