Thursday, October 24, 2013

As Cliche as I Can Be


As Cliché as I Can Be
            It’s the first day of ARTS 2171, and I begin with the routine most everyone shares when walking into a new classroom. Unsure if I’m even in the right place, I look around for a friend or a familiar face from another class to ask “this is photo 1, right?”. The next twenty students to walk into the classroom do the same dance: hesitantly open door, look for a friend, find a seat. Our instructor walks in, introduces himself as the graduate student leading this section of photo 1, and tells us to get out a piece of paper. Just like that, “Hey, I’m Adrian, I’m the grad student leading this section of photo 1. Everyone get out a piece of paper.”
            As we pull out our notebooks, he continues. “We’re going to make a list of all the bullshit cliché photos you can think of.” He is brusque, to say the least.
            I’m somewhat caught off-guard. He doesn’t ask how our summer was, or hand out the syllabus. Thankfully at least one other person in the class is too, and they sheepishly raise their hand to ask for clarification on what he means by “cliché”.
            “C’mon guys, you know, cliché. You’ve seen it before, its unoriginal, it’s overdone. If someone put it on the wall for critiques, you’d roll your eyes.”
            Another slow forty five seconds roll by before someone says, “a photo of cool shadows on the ground?”, more question than statement. “YES. Let’s hear some more.”
A few of the more candid students voice things like “a photo of a kid swinging on a swing-set?”, and “close-up photos of flowers?” The cliché ideas start coming faster with confirmation we’re on the right track, just be specific about content.
“Hobos on Pearl St.”
“Kids skateboarding on campus”
 “A dude playing his guitar”
“Performers on Pearl St.”
“Sunsets”…”be more specific”…”sunsets over the Flatirons?”
“Girls all posing in front of the bathroom mirror”
“A couple kissing in the rain”
“Everyone waiting in line outside a music venue under the marquee”
“Little kids playing in the sand at the beach”
We continue with our list, everyone laughs and some students even start to poke mild jabs at their friends as they shout out “photos of your pro-skier friends” and “pictures of your girlfriend trying to be a swimsuit model”. I laugh with everyone else, but at the end of our list I review the twenty-some clichés we’ve put together, and I feel the heat and color of my face turn up in the same manner that someone turns on a stove.
“I don’t want to see one single fuckin’ photo, or even a photo remotely close to any of these on this list submitted this semester. It will be an automatic fail, and a waste of our time”.
I panic. I’ve snapped three quarters of these photographs, and until this point, was incredibly proud of them even if it was in high school. I wholly identified myself as a photographer, to hear the work I’d been fulfilled with was simple and cliché began brewing an amazing insecurity. I must be without originality. I created trite content on a bland background, maybe it was decently good photograph but it was something everyone had seen before. I keep panicking.
“Pull ideas for your work from the nitty gritty, don’t take a picture of something because it’s pretty. Take a photograph of something.”
What is that even supposed to mean? I keep panicking. I tune out Adrian and start to create a new list of clichés, all of them about myself, until the list is long enough that I can’t remember a single unique thing about who I am anymore.
“White girl, raised in upper middle class white suburbia.”
“Cheerleader, cheer captain”.
“Has a few friends that are girls, but always got along better with boys.”
 “Lost her virginity to an older boy in hopes of making him like her more.”
“Rebellious, but only to the point of no permanent consequences.”
“Does yoga.”

I understand what Adrian is trying to do by calling out these dry and overdone photographs, I understand he’s trying to push us. Being pushed creates anxiety, uncertainty, self-doubt, and eventually something new. I carry both lists with me today, permanently written on my psyche to infuse the insecurity that still haunts me, that fear of being so unoriginal that all I am is a collection of clichés, with a sense of motivation and intention to be anything but a simple stereotype.

No comments:

Post a Comment