Tuesday, October 22, 2013

B. Chavez Multimodal Project - Frame by Frame


Frame by Frame (Vimeo)

            I try to come to terms with the fact that she’s dying. Beyond her eminent beauty she may not even realize that her time is numbered. It’s a slow death, and she doesn’t know it yet, because all she knows of is some altered space, rarely ever an exact representation of what we call reality. She does well at understanding this, but she can also articulate my struggles, my fears, and most importantly my own identity. No one knows me as well as she does. I take great care in making sure that she is satisfied, and I’m even more aware that I need to spend as much time with her as I can before she is gone. I handle her carefully and attentively, every time I hold her, the futility of her existence is all but too clear to me. It is remarkable how we can come to know someone so well in such a short amount of time, and end up feeling like we’ve been lifelong partners. I would call her my second lover, but perhaps even that is too superficial of a label. She ages just like you and I. With time, she begins to forget who she is. The elements are not as kind to her as they are to us.
            Who is she? She is film, a beauty lost to the cold, cynical world of digital convenience, a virtual world that does not exist. Film is tangible. I can hold it up to the light, scan single frames with my own eyes, reach out, and freeze a single moment in time. I can taste it if I wanted to. It is dissimilar to someone’s recording of a rabbit that they saw out on the road, taken on their iPhone. Film has purpose, and film is an experience. I like to think of the experience of film like those “Wonderballs” that I had as a kid, those hollow chocolate spheres with a prize inside. When I’m filming, I must pay attention to every last detail before sending it away to be processed, praying to the film gods that I shot everything that I needed and that it comes back in one piece. There is no way to view it instantly. Before I even view it for the first time, it is at that point in time that it becomes my Wonderball. I don’t know what is awaiting me inside. It is often then that I’m surprised with images of quality, as a result of a satisfactory job. Or perhaps I am met with awful sequences that weren’t filmed correctly, and have to deal with pushing on with the project without pulling too much of my hair out. That element of surprise is addicting, and no matter what the outcome turns out to be, it is enlightening. You either go away from the experience learning what worked, or learning what not to do next time.
I’m often asked what I want to do with film. To be honest, I’m not entirely sure. It is, however, the strongest medium with which I can express any form of catharsis, or perhaps even experience one as a result of filming. Film keeps me grounded, like the roots of a grand tree snugly burrowed into the earth; it has me connected with every facet of my life. Usually, we like to run away from labels. But what is my art if it is not a reflection of who I am? Labels and themes that I identify with run rampant through these films. It is almost always about the topics I’m familiar with and my identity as a gay, Mexican-American. Film allows me to reflect upon myself, but instead of simply being a mirror image of my perceived reality, it has the ability to exist as a new tool, offering perspectives and insights not otherwise available. The content of a film are threads of a spider’s web: simple and ordinary on their own, serving no purpose but to solely exist. When working together to create the final product, as a whole, they are seamlessly intricate and unique, capable of structure and pattern. Film gives me the opportunity to fill my creative cup to the brim with personalized images. Some are too subtle for an audience to catch, but the general idea is to create a metamorphosis from the incredibly personal to a universal, visual vocabulary. It’s almost addicting to be able to tell incredibly personal stories and present them to viewers who will then be free to judge it as they please. It’s also one of my greatest fears, right up there with heights.
Film has helped me make sense of heartbreak, depression, the first time I fell in love, comedic experiences, fantasies, and death. Each experience through film leaves a mark unseen to the eye, and gives me a new understanding of how life can function around me. With film (or any form of video, for that matter), I can explore my identity carefully. I can dissect who I am through the process of brainstorming, filming, and editing. Without film, I feel fragmented, as if I were missing vital organs but yet somehow manage to walk around without them. Essentially, if I can’t satisfy my itch to create, to film, I feel as if I’m not taking care of a basic need like breathing.
Furthermore, I can deal with situations or problems by translating them into images for others to understand. I still think about my sister’s battle with cancer at only four years of age. This dark period was punctuated by walking into her hospital room and seeing her deeply under, recovering from surgery. Through film, I’m able to share an experience with her, and create a visual vocabulary to share with a larger audience without having her directly relive those events.

Every walk of life presents an opportunity to be translated into film. Film is incredibly tedious, incredibly expensive, but incredibly fulfilling. After completing a new short film, it’s almost as if I’m experiencing a new form of baptism, but instead of being cleansed and having my slate wiped clean, I’m showered with knowledge, absorbing experiences, and gaining a new lens in which I can experience life through. There is an inexplicable rush of euphoria that no drug can come close to replicating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment